South Jersey Criminal Defense Lawyers
Drug charges are something to take seriously; a conviction can negatively impact your life in many ways, including your emotional health and family relationships, finances, and current and future employment prospects. If you are facing drug charges, it is crucial that you have an experienced lawyer by your side who knows the court system and can provide you with skilled representation. At Aita Law, LLC, we have the knowledge and experience needed to defend your case and obtain the best possible outcome for your situation.
Drug Laws in New Jersey
In New Jersey, there is a long list of drugs classified as controlled dangerous substances (CDS). There are different categories of CDS drugs, which classify them according to how dangerous and addictive they are and whether they have any use for medical treatment in the United States. Drug charges are based on these schedules, as well as the amount of the drug and your location when it was found.
Aita Law, LLC can help if you have been charged with a crime related to drugs, including the following:
- Schedule I drugs, such as heroin, LSD; MDMA, also known as ecstasy or Molly; marijuana; peyote; and mescaline
- Schedule II drugs, including opium, fentanyl, cocaine, oxycodone, Adderall, Ritalin, and Dexedrine
- Schedule III drugs, such as amphetamine, anabolic steroids, ketamine chloride, medicines with codeine, or substances containing barbituric acid
- Schedule IV drugs, such as Valium, Ambien, Xanax, Soma, Darvocet, Ativan, Talwin, and Tramadol
The laws governing CDS are complex. Some are considered completely illegal to possess or use in any form, while others are legal to possess or distribute if you have a prescription. Marijuana is still illegal under federal law but may be used for medical reasons by patients who have a prescription. An experienced South Jersey criminal defense lawyer knows the law and can help you understand drug charges, such as:
- Possession: Possession of a CDS may be illegal or require a prescription. The amount and type of CDS alleged to be in your possession will be a factor in the penalties you face. For example, possession of cocaine or heroin in New Jersey is a third-degree felony with up to five years of prison and fines of up to $35,000.
It is important to note that regardless of your intentions, if you are found in possession of CDS and you were within 500 feet of a public park or 1,000 feet of a school zone, New Jersey law allows for assumption of an intent to distribute. Possession with intent to distribute carries higher penalties and prosecutors typically do not have to prove that any sale took place.
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia: This is a serious charge on its own and qualifies as a disorderly conduct offense in New Jersey. You can be charged for possessing drug-related equipment even if you had no actual drugs in your possession. Drug paraphernalia includes syringes, rolling papers, plastic bags, prescription pads, and marijuana pipes.
- Distribution: This refers to the selling of or intent to sell drugs and is based either on the amount of drugs in your possession, other items in your possession, and your actions and behavior.
- Trafficking: Possession of larger amounts of drugs and/or crossing state lines can result in federal charges of drug trafficking. Penalties for drug trafficking are higher than those for distribution.
- Manufacturing: Cultivation or manufacturing of a CDS is illegal in New Jersey and under federal law. Conviction of manufacturing a controlled substance can result in fines, jail time, having to register as a drug offender, and mandatory rehabilitation.
Defending Yourself Against Drug Charges
At Aita Law, LLC, we know there are many ways to build a solid defense if you are facing drug charges. On your behalf we will investigate:
- If your vehicle was stopped and searched illegally
- If any drugs were in your possession or they belonged to someone else at the scene
- If evidence was handled properly or was contaminated
We are dedicated to defending the rights of our clients with the goal of achieving the best possible outcome in each case. Where possible, we will work to have your case moved to a diversionary program, such as conditional discharge or pre-trial intervention where your record will be wiped clean after a probationary period.
South Jersey Criminal Defense Lawyers at Aita Law, LLC Fight for Those Facing Drug Charges
If you were charged with drug possession, contact the South Jersey criminal defense lawyers at Aita Law, LLC today. We have over 20 years of experience helping people that face drug charges in South Jersey. Call us at 856-287-7800 or contact us online for a free consultation. With offices conveniently located in Haddonfield and Marlton, New Jersey, we proudly serve clients throughout South Jersey, including those in Cherry Hill and Camden County.
KENNETH D. AITA, ESQUIRE
Mr. Aita has successfully defended thousands of criminal cases. When you or a loved one is charged with a crime, it is an extremely daunting and frightening time. Criminal charges and convictions can have devastating effects on your life. You can be fired from your job, you can hurt your ability to get employment in the future, and most importantly could lose your precious freedom. Mr. Aita not only has the experience and expertise to represent you, but the compassion and understanding to help you through this difficult and confusing process. In a criminal case, everyone is against you; the police, the judge, and certainly the prosecutor, whose job is to get convictions. Mr. Aita is not only your skilled legal advocate, but is in your corner to protect you against the vast government resources that are against you. Make no mistake, fighting a criminal case is a war. You need an attorney willing to go to battle. Mr. Aita is in the trenches every single day tirelessly fighting for justice for his clients.